Jan 7, 2007

The books of 2006


1. American Jesus, by Stephen Prothero
2. Love in the Time of Cholera, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
3. The Zizek Reader, by Slovoj Zizek
4. Vows, by Peter Manaseau
5. Shane, by Jack Schaefer
6. V., by Thomas Pynchon
7. Bodies in Motion and at Rest, by Thomas Lynch
8. Blood Meridian, by Cormac McCarthy
9. The Martian Chronicles, by Ray Bradbury
10. Ferdinand de Saussure, by Jonathan Culler
11. Tracks, by Louise Erdich
12. Jacques Derrida, by Geoffery Bennington & Jacques Derrida
13. Something for Nothing, by Jackson Lears
14. Blue Like Jazz, by Donald Miller
15. The Sound and the Fury, by William Faulkner
16. Ragtime, by E.L. Doctorow
17. The Secular City, by Harvey Cox
18. The Satanic Verses, by Salman Rushdie
19. The Night of the Iguana, by Tennessee Williams
20. Cloudstreet, by Tim Winton
21. Travels in Hyperreality, by Umberto Eco
22. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, by Michael Chabon
23. The Gay Talese Reader
24. Child of God, by Cormac McCarthy
25. The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenger
26. The Corpse had a Familiar Face, by Edna Buchanan
27. The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien
28. No Country for Old Men, by Cormac McCarthy
29. In Dubious Battle, by John Steinbeck
30. The Revolution will not be Televised, by Joe Tripi
31. Bartleby the Scrivener, by Herman Melville
32. Talk Talk, by T.C. Boyle
33. The Riders, by Tim Winton
34. Mystery and Manners, by Flannery O'Connor
35. Outer Dark, by Cormac McCarthy
36. Running with Scissors, Augusten Burroughs
37. Hip, by John Leland
38. The Little Friend, by Donna Tartt
39. The Fragile Absolute, by Slavoj Zizek
40. Escape from Film School, by Richard Walter
41. All the Pretty Horses, by Cormac McCarthy
42. Wise Blood, by Flannery O'Connor
43. The Best American Crime Writing, ed. Otto Penzler
44. Mammoth Book of Pulp Fiction, ed. Maxim Jakubowski
45. The Grand Piano, by Perelman, Watten, Benson, Harryman, Mandel, Silliman, Robinson, Hejinian, Armantrout, Pearson
46. The Autograph Man, by Zadie Smith

Notes:
a) I consume a lot of media. I watch movies, TV news, read newspapers, magazines, blogs, online sites. Books are the only things I count, though. Books are the only things I give account of, treating them like evidence of an education.

b) My tastes are tending towards the American Gothic and the Southern Gothic. They're tending toward American writing. I hate memoirs. I'm still mixed in my feelings about Hysterical Realism.

c) The most influential book I read this year was The Zizek Reader, for very personal and practial reasons. The best was Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury, which I hadn't read before, though the novel that influenced me most was probably Blood Meridian, which also made me a McCarthy fan. I'm reading McCarthy these days like I read Graham Greene and John Steinbeck (and also like I continue to return to Kurt Vonnegut and PK Dick).

More to follow, maybe.