Apr 11, 2008

Powerless, voiceless and embarrassed

She tried to say she wasn't guilty. She tried to say there must be some mistake.

But there was a warrant for her arrest, so Diana Philippe went to jail. She stood in the Clayton County jail on Saturday night: Under arrest, stripped naked, powerless, voiceless and embarrassed.

She started to cry.

"I felt like I was raped," said Philippe, a 25-year-old nursing student. "I felt like I was nobody. The justice system failed me."

The warrant for Philippe's arrest was, in fact, a mistake.

According to court documents, the 25-year-old single mother was wanted for violating a probation, but another court document shows the probation sentence had been suspended. The warrant said she was also wanted for failing to pay a fine, but court records show she had already paid.

Read the full story @ the Clayton News Daily:
'Justice system failed me'