Oct 25, 2008
A torn-down, stripped-out gas station
& the scene of the officer-involved, fatal shooting of a mentally ill teen
1. Why exactly should it be considered a compliment to be called a poet?
2. What is the other side's best impulse?
3. Why are political partisans humorless?
4. How did "socialism" come to equal "government intervention"?
5. Why do I always come back to philosophy and theory, when I really believe in stories and images?
6. What philosophical question should be regularly asked?
7. How does redemption happen?
Why are politicians marriages so awful?
Buckley on his own
Why is 'asshole' a strategy for the new atheists?
Every girl wants to marry a pirate
Contest: Rebranding books
The conservative collapse
10 reasons for a bigger, better beard
Peter Pan and the God-Man
Worst romance novel covers of last year
Politics of political portraits
Ebert on Bette Davis' cigerette
Where pundits become pundits
_ There is, after all, a certain indignity in fighting the class war for 107 years only to find one’s chosen style of governance employed on behalf of the other — which is to say, the very upper — class.
_ since that night, and especially since his death in 2003, Johnny Cash has become for some the craggy patron saint of redemption
Working for the working-class vote
Cop reporter answers questions
Obama & Baldwin: After the death of the father
Talking head affiliation quiz
"Socialist" is not an epithet
Robocop on a unicorn
The decline of journalism is journalists fault
Does conservatism end in conspiracy-mongering?
Every man a Derrida?
Everyone still gets Derrida wrong
Beautiful movie posters
Solar close-ups (the sun is quiet)
Will Tarantion mess up the Holocaust?
Gilliam: Count of surrealism
The Lee Atwater boogie
Fact checking, is it just white noise?
Graphs that lie
Point about lingusitic distinction of instructions here
Recruiting the youth to monasticism
New York cheat sheets
Joe Biden's role
No demographics, only lifestyles
By Daniel Silliman at 6:55 PM