Nov 14, 2011

"That music was like nothing I'd ever heard before, a cross between Salvation Army and acid rock: tambourines, an electric guitar, drums, cymbals, and voices that careened from one note to the next as though the singers were being sawn in half. 'I shall not be ... I shall not be moved. I shall not be ... I shall not be moved. Just like a tree that's planted by the wa-a-ter, oh ... I shall not be moved!' ...

"They knelt at the makeshift altar and started praying out loud, each a different prayer. J.L.'s voice rose above the others for a measure or so. 'Oh Lord, be with us now, and in thy mercy hold us and keep up, and O Dear God, bless this our little church, amen, and keep it for your own ...'

"Then another voice rose up to meet his, entered into fellowship with it, and fell away, each voice on a separate strand of meaning but weaving with the others into a kind of song, rising and falling, gathering and dispersing ....

"And underneath all the human voices was the incessant rattle of the serpent in the wooden box."

-- Dennis Covington, Salvation on Sand Mountain.