A Good Friday-themed sermon outline from Chuck Smith, founder of Calvary Chapel. The text was Matthew 27:35. In the sermon, Smith connects the crucifixion to atheism, calling it an act of atheism, and then says his audience is engaged in the same sort of God-killing when they "refuse to be guided" by God and "reject His advice."
In Smith's telling, there's a marked similarity -- even synonymity -- between those who don't hear God speak to them in their daily lives, those who don't believe in God, and those who crucified Christ on Good Friday.
"AND THEY CRUCIFIED HIM"
I. WHAT KIND OF PERSON WOULD WANT TO CRUCIFY CHRIST?
A. Cruel, vicious, MONSTER.
1. Kill a innocent man.
a. More than innocent. Neg. trait.
b. He was good, kind, loving.
2. Torture of cross.
a. Exult in His suffering.
b. No words of pity.
B. How do you picture the murderers of Christ?
1. Wild-eyed: foaming mouthed idiots.
2. You probably couldn't pick them out of the rogues gallery.
3. They look like your neighbor or maybe even like you.
II. IN CRUCIFYING CHRIST THEY WERE TRYING TO DESTROY GOD.
A. "The fool hath said in his heart, "There is no God."
1. This is an attempt to destroy God.
2. Any man today who says, "I don't believe in God" is trying to destroy God. a. He could just as well have driven the spikes into the hands.
b. He is capable of crucifying Christ.
B. Some of you would like to destroy God.
1. If you are told God is not pleased with your actions.
a. Instead of repenting and seeking forgiveness.
b. You become sullen, morose, snide.
c. Your shrug of the shoulder and sneer show you capable of crucifying Christ.
III. SOME OF YOU SEEK ALSO TO DESTROY GOD FROM YOUR LIFE.
A. You have killed His voice.
1. You will not listen to Him.
2. You turn a deaf ear or ignore Him.
B. You have killed His influence.
1. You will not be guided.
2. You reject His advice.
3. You will walk in your own way.
4. You refuse to bow your stubborn will.
C. You have fill His love.
1. How many times He has entreated you.
2. Look at the scorn with which you responded to His tenderness.
D. Some of you not only capable, but in a sense guilty of crucifying Christ and are doing the same this very night.
IV. HOW SHOCKING TO LOOK INTO THE PICTURE AND BEHOLD YOUR OWN FACE. A. Realizing guilt what is answer?
1. Acts 2 - "What shall we do, seeing we have crucified the Lord of Glory?"
2. Listen and obey His voice. Yield to His influence. Respond to HIS Love.