Oct 4, 2014

'Every day when I wake up'

In the grace of your love
You don't turn me away
In the grace of your love
There is no other way 
In the grace of your love
Every day when I wake up
In the grace of your love
In the grace of your love
Luke Jenner, frontman of the dancepunk group the Rapture, talks about his religious conversion in 2009:
For me it felt like I had tried everything else with this grieving process and I'd been to therapy, but I needed to put something to practice -- it was literally the closest spiritual place to my house. I learned how to pray just by hanging out with these grandmas and when I wouldn’t show up they were like 'hey where were you, we missed you.' That was really important to me, having that kind of energy around, old lady energy. 
Yeah just kind of nurturing, can't screw up, I just found that really powerful . . . I grew in an era of nihilism like gangster rap and Kurt Cobain and people killing themselves and mental illness and drug addiction. Having a son now, and with my mother taking her own life . . . I started looking for positive music and I wanted to make something joyful, that didn't avoid grief or pain but was transformative in nature. I joined a church choir for a while
Jenner says that for him, conversion was like escape from "this tunnel where I was trying to be cool."

The band broke up earlier this year.